Click Fire Engine to Sign our Fire Station Petition
The Liberal Democrats in Windsor believe we need:
- A Fully Equipped Fire Station in Windsor
- A Full size Fire Appliance based in Windsor
- A Full size Fire Crew 24 hours a day based in Windsor
We have been fighting for this continuously for eight years.
Conservatives in the Royal Borough have entered into a joint agreement with the Royal Berkshire Fire Authority, under which they will spend £400,000 providing a fire station with limited facilities at the council's Tinker's Lane Depot. In return the Conservatives want the Fire Authority to provide a fire engine for 24 hour a day cover. The proposed fire engine would have a below full strength crew of four fire-fighters, drawn on an ad-hoc basis from Slough. The crew and fire engine would be based at Slough and would return there to refuel, service and charge breathing apparatus and conduct practical training with ladders, pumps, hoses and cuitting equipment.
We believe that, whilst better than nothing, this does not really constitute a proper service. More worryingly it seems that teh Fire Authority are reluctant to enter into a long term commitment to provide the fire engine. Details of the new and old fire provision can be found at the following links:
Windsor Fire Station: Not For Sale is the name of the local Liberal Democrat's third and latest campaign to protect Fire Services in Windsor. It follows on from two previous campaigns which between them have run continuously since 2005/6 when the Royal Berkshire Fire Authority and the Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service first proposed the closure of Windsor Fire Station:
- Our Save Windsor Fire Station Campaign ran through 2006/7 under the Liberal Democrat leadership of the Royal Borough and was successful in stopping the Fire Authority's plans to close Windsor Fire Station. Following our campaign the Fire Authority agreed to maintain a Full Time Fire Station in WIndsor. The focus of this campaign was to save the Fire Station.
- Our Keep Windsor Fire Station 24/7 Campaign began after the Fire Authority introduced plans to make Windsor a day time only Fire Station. The focus of this campaign was to keep 24 hour crewing of the Fire Engine.
- Our current Windsor Fire Station: Not For Sale Campaign started in November 2011 after the, now Conservative led, Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead and the Royal Berkshire Fire Authority came up with a joint plan to close Windsor Fire Station and sell it for development. Under the plan the Fire Engine would be based in Slough, but would have access to, as yet undisclosed, facilities at the Windsor Council Depot. (1) (2) The focus of this campaign is to keep both a full size Fire Engine and a proper Fire Station with full facilities(at which the Fire Engine and its crew can be properly based) in Windsor.
- The campaign was started by a mass leaflet drop to around 10,000 homes in Windsor conducted by our volunteers over the Christmas holiday in 2011.
- The leaflet helped people reply to the Fire Authority's Christmas consultation on closing Windsor Fire Station and replacing Windsor's Fire Engine with a mini-appliance, unsuited to attending major house fires. (3) (6)
- The campaign has met early success with 84% of responses to the consultation about Windsor making use of the pro-forma provided in our leaflet. (4)
- Further success came in the Fire Authority's response to the consultation. Paul Southern, Assistant Chief Officer of The Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service told The Windsor Express:
"The consultation responses showed that people wanted a larger appliance . . . so we are working on an action plan for a larger appliance that will meet all requirements." (5)
- In 2011 Windsor Fire Station moved officially to being day time only, but in response to community pressure the Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service have in fact manage to man the appliance most nights using scratch crews drawn from across the county. A Freedom of Information request revealed that in the first 3 months of the Fire Station "being day time only" the Windsor Fire Engine had been mobilised more times at night, than the Wokingham Fire Engine, to which Windsor's night crews had been redeployed.
- We are now collecting signatures on a petition against the closure - downloaded it by clicking the link below.
Help the Campaign to Save the Fire Station
- Sign the Save Windsor Fire Station Petition on-line.
- Download the Save Windsor Fire Station Petition, print it out to collect signatures from friends and neighbours and Freepost it back to us
- Like Windsor Fire Station:NOT For Sale on Facebook.
Find Out More
- Find out about the Conservatives proposed new Fire Station at Tinker's Lane
- Find out how Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service short change Royal Borough residents
- Fire Brigades' Union Save Windsor Fire Station Facebook Group
- Fire Brigades Union Save Windsor Fire Station Website
- Link to Story about Conservatives' 337% Allowance Rise at Fire Authority
- RBWM Press Release dated 29/09/11
- RBFRS Press Release dated 29/09/11
- Save Windsor Fire Station (Windsor FBU)
- FOI request 2012-0019 Royal Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service
- Windsor, Ascot & Eton Express Online "Windsor to keep full size fire engine" Francis Batt 13:42 Fri 13 Jan 2012
- Windsor Express 29/09/11
page date March 2012, minor revisions August 2012, minor revisions July 2013