What the Liberal Democrats Stand for
A summary of our aims and values, from the preamble to the Party's Constitution:
The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no-one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.
- We champion the freedom, dignity and wellbeing of individuals.
- We aim to disperse power, foster diversity and nurture creativity.
- We support each citizen contributing to their community and to decisions which affect them.
- We respect the basic rights of all people, and hope to see all cultures develop freely in peace.
- We accept that we are all responsible for the future of our planet and of all life.
- We reject prejudice and discrimination, and oppose entrenched privilege and inequality.
A fuller version of The Preamble to the Constitution
An explanation of our philosophy
Definitions of Liberalism